Smoked carrots cooked in whey
1 Bunch leafy carrots, reserved from dukkah recipe
Whey, reserved from labneh
2 Tbsp of smoking chips (available at most supermarkets)
1. Scrub the carrots clean with a coconut tawashi from Lucky Hedgehog*
2. Place in a saucepan that snugly fits the carrots, add the reserved whey and bring to a simmer. Cook gently, turning every 2-3 minutes if not fully submerged, until just tender when pierced with a skewer/ knife.
3. Strain the carrots and keep the whey!
4. Grab an oven tray with a rack that fits inside. Place a small rectangle of foil in the centre of the base of the tray and put the smoking chips on the foil. Light the chips with a match and wait for a small flame to take hold. Smother the flame with a pot lid briefly to kill the fire then place the rack in the tray topped with the carrots.
5. Cover with foil and leave covered until ready to serve.
*Coconut Tawashi’s available online from www.luckyhedgehog.co.uk