French Press (Cafetière)
A classic full immersion brewer and arguably one of the simplest coffee brewers in existence. A staple of many households all over the world, the French Press, or Cafetière, is an underrated brewer in the modern world of coffee but one that, with a little attention, can yield amazing results.
A forgiving brew method that is great for making coffee for a crowd, the French Press makes for a perfect solution when hosting. Play around with coffee volume to adjust strength if need be. You will find with some coffees you may need a little more and with others a little less.
French Presses are great for naturally sweet coffees. The long contact time during brewing delivers a rich sweet flavour, perfect if you like a little milk in your coffee as the strength of the brew will not get lost behind the milk.
Serves 1 cup
16g of medium to coarsely ground coffee
240ml of water straight off the boil
Recommended brew time is 2 minutes
- Add the coffee into the base of the pre-heated French Press.
- Quickly add the desired amount of water depending on desired batch size.
- Thoroughly stir and leave open to brew for 4 minutes.
- Attach plunger and slowly press into the bottom of the vessel.
- For best results, leave the brew to sit for 5 – 10 minutes after plunging. This will allow all the little particles to sink to the bottom giving a sweeter taste. And when serving pour the full amount out into a separate serving vessel before pouring into cups.